Obtaining Prior Year Tax Information

Taxpayers may need to obtain copies of prior year tax information for various reasons.  Two types of free reports are available, which include (1) a tax return transcript (that shows most line items from the tax return as filed), and (2) a tax account transcript (that shows any adjustments made by the taxpayer or the IRS after the return was filed).  Transcripts can be requested on-line at www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript, by phone, or by mail and are available for the current tax year (after the IRS has processed the return) and the prior three years.  If a photocopy of a tax return is required, use Form 4506 to submit the request.